Resolving the Lotus Traveler “Connection to database ntsdb unable to be made” error

After restarting an IBM Domino server running on Linux recently, the Lotus Traveler service failed to start, giving the following error message:

Lotus Traveler: SEVERE *system Connection to database ntsdb unable to be made. Verify that you have properly created the remote database.

 

IBM Domino Version: 8.5.2FP1

Traveler Version: 8.5.2.1 Build 201012031608

 

All the posts I found online suggested that either restarting the IBM Domino server, or the entire Linux server would resolve the issue.  I first tried restarting only the IBM Domino server, but the problem persisted.  I then tried restarting the entire server as the posts suggested, also without success.

 

This post proved to be the most helpful in my case:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21586728

 

I moved the ntsdb folder to a temporary location and reinstall Lotus Traveler.  After the installation process had successfully completed, I started the IBM Domino server and the Lotus Traveler service loaded successfully.

Initially, tell traveler showusers only listed 1 registered user, but the longer the server was running, the more users were listed when running this command.  I could also see active synchronisation activities when running the tell traveler showactive console command.

 

ISPConfig 3, WordPress, and Clean URL’s

So I spent my whole Friday afternoon (and a good part of this evening) trying to make our brand new WordPress Blog Site work with Pretty Permalinks (a.k.a. Clean URL’s).  Various searches on Google with all keyword combinations I could think of rendered no workable solution.  In the end, the solution was simple.  But as they say: Brain surgery is easy if you know how!

 

Firstly, I confirmed that MOD_REWRITE was installed and active.  To do this, issue the following command from the command prompt on the ISPConfig server:

# apache2ctl -t -D DUMP_MODULES

This returned a list of results, one of them being:

rewrite_module (shared)

Great! So the rewrite module is up and running.

 

Next, I added the following to the WordPress site’s “Apache directives” in ISPConfig:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

 

Lastly, and this is the one that kept me busy for a while, you change the “Redirect type” in the “Redirect”-tab in ISPConfig from “No Redirect” to “L”.

Now just restart Apache2 and you are good to go!

I hope this saves someone the trouble of having to try and figure this out on a Friday night. At least I had a couple of cold beers and the sound of the ocean in the background to keep me motivated.

© 2011 Ukuvuma Solutions